Thursday, March 31, 2011
All KX0S now
The paper copy of my new license arrived today. It is now in the
frame on the wall behind my desk. Now I am fully KX0S in everything. I have no regrets about changing, as I like the sound
of my new call sign better. Besides, I think "The Chaos Station" has a nice ring to it.
4:22 pm cdt
Sunday, March 27, 2011
New Call Sign, KX0S
The "Chaos" station is on the air. I did have to change
a few things at ARRL, QRZ, and eQSL. I still need to change at eHam.net too. Kilo X-ray Zero Sierra (or Sugar). I like the
sound of it.
11:51 am cdt
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Site Name Change
If things go as scheduled, my new call sign should be in effect
tomorrow. If so, I will have to change the site name to match it. So long to KC0GSB. It's been a nice eleven and a half
9:50 pm cdt
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
A few days ago I decided I wanted a headset for the Yaesu. I looked
at the Heil models. A little expensive I thought. Time to do some research. I found a computer headset from Audio Technica,
model ATR5200, that sold for $38 including shipping. A 3.5mm female plug wired to an 8 pin mic connector was easy to
make. Now I have an excellent quality, comfortable headset at less than half the price of a Heil. I did an on-air check and
was told the sound was excellent.
6:56 pm cdt
Friday, March 11, 2011
Vanity Call Sign
On Monday, the 7th, I applied for a new call sign from the FCC.
It cost a little over 13 dollars. I listed 5 preferences, but I believe I will get my first choice, KX0S. Does that sound
like chaos? I did this because my C/S was too long for 'pileups'. I will miss KC0GSB as my initials are in it, and I've had
it for over eleven years. I will have to change my home page too. Kilo-Xray-Zero-Sierra (or Sugar), Kay-X-Oh-S. I like the
sound. I should know sometime in the next 18 days.
6:17 pm cst
Thursday, March 10, 2011
8:43 pm cst
It's time to do a little better with my antennas. The space and
tree problem is still the guiding factor. The GP-15 has a high SWR due to a loose coax. The high winds are partly to blame.
The oversize Pl-239's for the LMR-600 won't tighten fully, so I'm going to make a small jumper with RG-8. I believe I can
put up a Mosley Mini-32-A and rotor on the new 30ft telescoping mast from Channel Master. I have several possible plans
that I may use. I haven't decided yet how I will do things, but the small beam is probably a go. I can still have an 80m Vee-beam,
but higher than it is now. I may also relocate the AR-10 and use the Rohn 30ft mast for the Mosley. I'll figure it all out
soon. I've got plenty of time as the weather is still cold and windy.